venerdì 4 dicembre 2009

Manchester-on-my-mind

Where am I from?



Manchester.
And I can prove it: f@ck you Poshy-Beky.

...

There's this old friend o'mine, we can call him Du.
He used to live here in Manchester, but he's born in Italy, so
ITALIAN
on his passaport, and
ITALIAN
on his DL, and
ITALIAN
when anybody ask him which his native-language is.

Well, like most of us, Du's looking for a new job.
What you need to know about his CV is that his former job had a "chief" in the title.
I know what you're thinking. Please stop.
That's NOT true: he's not a jerk, or a shark neither. Du's good in his job, and that's all.

Financial Crisis hit Du's company hard, so Du became "avaible".

Yesterday Du had an interview.
QuestionAnswerQuestionAnswerQuestionAnswer as usual, and the answers met the questions and everybody smiled and Mr.Du was reasonably happy.
Than
"Oh you're from Italy... Can't believe"

"Well, actually I was born in It..."

"I am sorry, but your former experience is not enuogh for the position we're looking for"

"What? But you said it was enough when you first phone me..."

"That's true. What I mean is not enough for an Italian. You know: you've got all those stories to be ashamed of..."

"Stories... ?"

"Oh, y'know... Mussolini, Mandolini, La dolce vita, Mr. B..."

"What the hell has those things to do with me?!?"

"Well, it's not you... But you italians have to prove your... Trustworthiness. You as a people"

...

Be honest, was not exactly those words... But trust me: this was the meaning.

We've plenty of happy-ending stories 'bout italians having great jobs outside Italy, but maybe we've got to start from the beginning, telling those stories.

Well, I'm a british citizen, so chemmenefrega?

A

1 commento: